Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Warm hands, warm heart

My grandma always says "warm hands, warm heart" which I think means that having warm hands is proof that you are a "warm-hearted" person. This does not bode well for me because my fingers are always cold. Recently I've been craving a pair of fingerless gloves to keep my hands warm and still allow me to use my computer (my school says they're being "green" by keeping the classrooms freezing cold, but I suspect is has more to do with being cheap...) I was in my LYS, and they had a sample of this simple pattern, and it stole my heart.

IMG_0693

This pattern is Brushed Suri Mitts by Merri Fromm. I used the exact yarn called for Blue Sky Alpacas Brushed Suri. The yarn is 67% baby Suri alpaca, 22% merino, and 11% bamboo. It's a halo yarn like Kid Silk Haze from Rowan or Suri Dream from Knit Picks. There is a "core" to the yarn that fuzzy alpaca fluffs out from. The pattern only takes about 75% of a skein.

IMG_0694

It's not super clear from my bad photos (we had a week of gloom w/ no natural light at all when I took them, now that the sun has returned I should go outside and take some more) but one mitt is actually about an inch shorter than the other. That is because after you knit the thumb gusset you are supposed to knit straight for 10 rounds before actually separating the thumb... I forgot to do this on the second mitt. I love this bunches, so I bought another skein and I will make one long (correct) mitt and one short (leaving out the 10 rows) then then have a pair for myself and a pair that I can give away (or a backup).

IMG_0695

This photo is blurry, but it shows the halo coming off the gloves well. I was worried that I would find them itchy because of the high alpaca content and because of the halo, but they're pretty much the softest most comfortable thing ever and I wear them all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment