Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

New project!

I've been really trying to knit down my number of WIPs. I've been doing pretty good actually, and have managed to get from 16 to 8. But guys, I'm starting to get bored. Very bored. The call of brand new projects is strong. My solution:

IMG_0943

You see, weaving is NOT knitting so this really is NOT a new projects. It's just the thing I'm currently working on. 

Back in May I picked up a 10" Cricket Loom at Black Sheep Fiber Festival. I wove my first project up in a jiffy, but then my loom sat. The thing was, I knew I wanted my next project to be with this yarn, but I didn't have the correct size heddle. 

This lovely String Theory Caper Sock yarn is fingering weight, and I only had a heddle suitable for a worsted-ish sized yarn. (The heddle is the white piece in the middle that you move up and down to weave. The further apart the holes, the bigger the "mesh" that you weave. Finer yarn needs a tighter mesh. Make sense?)

No problem. Saturday and Sunday was Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival (Oregon is such a yarn-y state) and I picked up two new heddles. One that will work with fingering weight yarn and one that will work with bulky yarn.

IMG_0944
The green is waste yarn that you weave a bit with at the beginning to even out your tension. It gets pulled out when you're done. 

I wanted to weave this yarn up because I knew I'd never knit with it. In a fit of crazy-pants I had it wound at the yarn shop when I bought it even though I knew I wasn't going to use it immediately. I hate knitting with yarn that's been wound for too long, and this has been sitting wound in the stash for over a year. Oops. Wound yarn gets super kinky near the center of the ball when it sits too long and the tension put on the yarn when it's wound can mess with your gauge if the yarn sits in a wound ball for too long. Weaving solves all these problems. 

What new things have you not started?

No comments:

Post a Comment