Unfortunately, and I say this with love, she has giant hands for a woman. The mitts I made were way too small. They were knit in fingering weight yarn on size 1.5 needles and they were lovely (see them here) but way too small.
Christmas 2013 I was determined to get it right. I used the same pattern and the same stitch counts, but used a worsted weight yarn and size 6 needles. They came out just right.
The pattern is Countess Mitts by Colleen Powley and I got it in a kit with the yarn to make the original pair of mitts, though it looks like you can also download it separately on Ravelry. These are very big on me, but they fit the recipient perfectly. They look a bit less delicate than the original, but I think it's more fitting to her style anyway.
The yarn is Knit Picks Sugarbunny in colorway Peacock. It's 80% merino and 20% angora so it has a lovely little halo and the mitts are incredibly soft. They advertise it as a worsted weight but I would say it's a bit lighter than traditional. I'm guessing they suggest knitting it at a worsted gauge to give the angora halo room between the stitches to bloom.
I didn't get much knit this month because 1) it's been hot, and 2) I moved again and my yarn was all packed. I'm all unpacked now (except I can't find my Kindle and it's making me crazy!) and I've really been feeling the knitting bug lately. I've got a lot of projects that went on hold when I went through my knitting funk, and I've been pulling them all out and remembering why I cast them on and all the good things about them and wondering why I ever put them down. Time for a good knit I think.