This is the hat pre-blocking when it had more of a beanie shape.
I used some yarn that I had spun from an Abstract Fibers roving. The fiber was an alpaca/silk blend that spun very smoothly. The colorway is called Mt. Hood Rose. It really wanted to be a fingering weight yarn even though my original spinning plan was for it to be sport. All for the good since this pattern calls for fingering.
I made one tiny modification to the pattern based on the project notes of other people on Ravelry. Many had complained that the brim of the hat was loose. Since alpaca is known for stretching out, I really wanted to combat the possibility of a too-loose brim. I used a smaller needle than called for for the brim ribbing a US 1 instead of a 2 and did a 1x1 twisted ribbing rather than a standard ribbing since twisting stitches tightens them up.
I was stretching when my brother snapped this picture, it's not very flattering for me, but it shows the hat nicely. Notice the beret-y shape now that it's been blocked.
As soon as I finished knitting I snapped a few quick pre-blocking photos then gave it a quick soak and stretched it around a dinner plate to block it into proper beret shape. I set it out of the way where the cats wouldn't bother it then
forgot about it became very busy. When I rediscovered it a few weeks later it was like getting a new hat for free. I was happy.
So happy I put it on and took pictures right away, not even caring that it clearly did not match my shirt at all.