Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Alpaca Silk

This alpaca/silk I finished spinning the other day is finally dry, measured, and skeined up.  I ended up with about 270 yards of mostly fingering-weight yarn.

IMG_0391

I say "mostly fingering" because there are a few spots where it's more of a sport weight, but they're actually pretty few and far between.  I was amazed at how consistently I was able to spin this fiber.

IMG_0394

The fiber is from Abstract Fiber and it created a heavenly soft yarn.  My only complaint is that something about their dyeing/prep process seems to pack down the fibers pretty tightly so that there is a lot of pre-drafting needed to fluff up the fiber so it's spinnable.  The colorway is Mt. Hood Rose and the fiber is 70% alpaca, 30% silk.  My LYS has chosen the Rustling Leaves Beret as the February knit-a-long and I think I will see how it looks in this yarn.  I'm hoping the yarn is a solid enough color that it doesn't obscure the pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment