Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

What next?

Since I finished the alpaca/silk that I had been working on on my wheel, I need to pick what my next wheel project will be.  The trouble is I'm torn.  I have so much lovely fiber that I feel like I want to spin ALL of it.  Right NOW.  So I'm asking you.  What should I spin next?

First up, I have this luscious 100% Tussah Silk top that I got at sock summit in July.  It's from Teresa Ruch Designs.  The color is so vibrant and it's so soft that when I touch it I feel like my hands must be covered in sandpaper.  The only downside is that I've never spun 100% silk before so there may be a steep learning curve.

IMG_1175

Next option is the mind boggling roving from Abstract Fiber that I got at the Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival.  It's 50% merino and 50% tencel.  The colorway os called "silver" and the reason I say that this is mind boggling is that it actually "looks" silver.  I didn't know it was possible to give fiber a metallic look... at least not until I saw this for the first time.  It's not as soft as the 100% silk, but still very soft.  The only downside is that I've worked with Abstract Fibers before and while their colors are absolutely amazing something about their prep or their dyeing makes the roving really packed tight so it takes a lot of extra prep to "re-fluff" to the point where it's easily spinnable.

IMG_0387

Last but not least is some good hearty 100% BFL that I got on the Portland Yarn Crawl.  (If you can't tell, there are a lot of yarn/fiber related events in the Portland area.  It gets expensive.)  This is from Black Trillium Fiber Studio and the colorway is called Emerald City.  I have never spun with this particular dyers roving, but BFL is one of my go-to fibers for hours of simple mindless spinning enjoyment.  It is the least temperamental fiber I've found.  I curse way less at BFL than any other fiber.  The only downside here is that, while BFL is amazing fiber to work with from the simplicity standpoint, it lacks some of the sexiness of silk, merino, and other wonderful butter-in-your-hands luxury fibers. 

IMG_0808

Your votes will decide.  What do you think I should start next? 

2 comments:

  1. My vote is for the merino/tencel because it looks awesome and I have a feeling the shine factor will only increase once it's spun up and, well, I wanna see that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I walked by that roving at the fair it literally stopped me in my tracks. They also had a "bronze" clolorway that was similarly metallic looking, but once I saw the silver it was impossible to put down. I kept looking at it throughout the festival and thinking "How?!"

      Delete