Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Satisfaction

I was patient and waited until this evening to ply my singles from yesterday.  However, I got a comment from someone on Google+ saying that she never waits to ply, she just fills a bobbin then uses her ball winder to make a center pull ball and plies from both ends.  Anyone else tried this?  Anyone ply without waiting overnight?  How much of a difference does it make?  My finished yarn on the bobbin:

IMG_0301

This color is near impossible to photograph well.  At least for my mediocre photography skills.  The fiber is 70% alpaca 30% silk.  It started out looking like this:

IMG_0290

Spinning muted the color changes quite a bit, but there are a few places where pink barberpoles around the cream.  I managed to spin pretty darn consistently, after dividing the roving into two halves and spinning the singles and then plying them this is all that was left on my "fuller" bobbin:

IMG_0299

After plying, I used my swift to skein up the yarn so that it could be washed.  I don't bother to use the niddy noddy at this stage because the length will change with washing and hanging anyway.  

IMG_0303

Then I drop the whole thing in the sink with some wool wash.  I just picked up this tester-sized bottle of Eucalan and I love it.  It's grapefruit scented, but not overpoweringly so, just enough to be pleasant.  For $4 it was a great way to see if I liked the scent.  I used less than 1/10 of the bottle, so it's a pretty good value.  (Especially compared to the $10 per bottle of SOAK testers.)

IMG_0306

The fiber is Abstract Fiber Alpaca Silk  in colorway Mt. Hood Rose.  It appears to be available on the website, but they don't have a picture.  I got mine at For Yarns Sake.  I let you know the final yardage and weight once it's fully dry.

2 comments:

  1. I once tried plying right when I finished spinning and it was a disaster. Maybe it was just me, but I definitely noticed that the singles had a bunch more active twist in them and I had to work hard to keep even tension in both of them while also keeping an eye out for those annoying little corkscrew flag things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know there's an actual purpose to waiting... other than highlighting my impatience that is. It's been so cold and wet here that even after a full 24 hours my yarn is still not completely dry. I want to know what kind of yardage I ended up with!

      Delete