Pages

Monday, January 2, 2012

Sylvan Cowl

I've had some handspun that I finished several months ago burning a hole in my stash for quite a while.  The fiber was a merino silk blend heathered with misty grey, blue, and gold.  The finished yarn was very heathered and had a "rustic"look to it.  While the color gave it a rustic feel, the fiber blend made the yarn buttery soft and I knew I wanted it up by my face to snuggle in when it's cold outside.

I could not find the right pattern.  Lace didn't seem to go well with the rustic look of the yarn.  Too much texture, like cables, took away from the beauty of the yarn itself.  Plain stockinette was too boring.  I decided to play around and invent my own pattern.  Here was my solution.

IMG_0253

I call it Sylvan Cowl.  It's an infinity scarf that can be worn long as pictured above or wrapped around the head twice for a snug fit up around the neck.

IMG_0257

It's a mixture of simple textures and simple eyelets that is just enough to give some interest to the project but allows the yarn to do its thing and show off its inherent beauty.  I want to make another one in a tweed yarn, I think it would be perfect.  

IMG_0247 

Currently the pattern is being test knit.  When testing is done, I'll have the pattern for sale on Ravelry and here on the Designs tab.  The pattern takes about 250 yards of sport weight yarn and US 7 needles.  If you are interested in test-knitting for me, shoot me an email before January 12 and I'll send you the pattern for free so long as you can get my your feedback by the 16th.  

IMG_0252

No comments:

Post a Comment