Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Jumping around

I feel a mad case of startitis brewing.  The burning desire to cast on every wonderful pattern in sight until I completely run out of knitting needles.  (Hint: I have a ton of knitting needles.)  I think I start to feel this way when all of my projects feel like they are "long term" projects (meaning more than one week to complete.)  When I start to feel like there is no end in sight, my logical (totally and completely logical, don't laugh) reaction is to cast on another project that will be so fun and enjoyable that I will speed to the end and feel the sweet sweet gratification of having a finished object.

So far, I've been resisting the urge and haven't cast on anything new since the new year.  To satisfy my lack of ability to focus on any one project, I've been jumping around putting a little bit of attention into one or two of my WIPs each day.  On the one hand, this satisfies my desire to constantly be working on something different, on the other hand, it also ensures that I continue to feel like "nothing will ever get done" that tends to bring on startitis in the first place.  

Today, the project du jure was a fingreless mitt I've been working on, which will (hopefully) be part of a pair someday.  


So far these have done a pretty good job of keeping me interested--they have that colorwork "just one more row" magic--but I suspect that as soon as it comes time to make the second one, working the pattern a second time will seem less charming.  I will resist casting one 15 new things.  I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment