Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Hey look! A sock!

I mostly knit socks one at a time.  I'm perfectly aware of all of the two-at-a-time methods and occasionally will use one of them, but for the most part, I just prefer double pointed needles.  Second sock syndrom hits me every so often, but in general it's not something I suffer from too badly.  Well folks, I'm suffering.

Meet Pomatomous.  My single pomatomous.

IMG_0284

This sock is a beast on many levels.  As you can see, the sock has a very long leg.  The pattern is a 24-row repeat and it's repeated 3 times before you start the heel.  Thats 72 pattern rows plus the twisted rib cuff before you ever even start the heel.  Added to that, because the pattern is predominately twisted rib, it is less stretchy than most.  This means that you have to cast on 72 stitches to make the sock fit.  Each round is 8 stitches bigger than a standard sock-weight sock.  Finally, the chart has to be followed line by line.  Even after following it five times though, I couldn't come close to memorizing it.  Look, it's pretty complex!

IMG_0286

I will make the second sock my on the go project for the upcoming semester.  The one that I keep in my backpack and work on when I'm on the bus to Clinic, on my lunch break at work, and in spare moments between class.  Hopefully I will have a finished pair by the end of the semester without having to use any of my primo couch/netflix knitting time on these suckers.  That time is for lovely projects that fill me with joy.  See yesterday's post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment