Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Backsliding

So after starting the year off strong blogging every day for the whole month of January, I find myself backsliding into my old lazy-blogger ways.  Only wanting to post when I have a finished project to show off.  Well after a month-long absence, here I am.  And I've got something to show.

I've mentioned several times that for, Christmas and my birthday, Ryan signed me up for the Stephen West Westknits Shawl Club.  (This is reason number 792 that Ryan is awesome.)  Since December I have received an exclusive pattern plus yarn to complete the pattern in exclusive colors all designed by Stephen West, my favorite knitwear designer.

I've already shown you the December and January installments and I love and wear them both.  Neither of them compare to the February installation.  The yarn for this installment was Malabrigo Sock.  It's 100% merino awesomeness.  The colors were Chocolate Amargo

IMG_0418
This is actually a Malabrigo color that anyone can buy, it's not exclusive to the club.  This pisses me off a little because the club was advertised as 100% exclusive.  9 exclusive skeins of yarn and 8 exclusive skeins + 1 non-exclusive skein are not the same thing.  The club membership definitely added a premium to what the standard cost for the yarn would be and that premium must be for the "exclusive" factor.  If you're only going to have 8 exclusive skeins, say 8, not 9.  

and Oeste

IMG_0419

The pattern for February was the extremely unique Oeste (the yarn was named for the pattern.)   I love the look of this shawl!  I think it's so unique.  It's constructed by making 7 mini-shawls then making the body separately and attaching the mini-shawls to the body.  The instructions say to seam them in, but I attached them as I bound off the "steps" in a way similar to a three-needle bind-off.  

It's currently blocking.  I can't wait until its dry.  It came out extremely long--almost 7 feet tip to tip.

IMG_0424

It's still wet, so the colors are a bit darker than they will be once it's dry.  I keep walking over to feel it and see how dry it is even though I just laid it out about 25 minutes ago.

IMG_0425

It's a good thing I finished when I did.  I cast off last night.  This afternoon when I got back from the clinic I had this waiting for me in my mailbox:

IMG_0431

Hello March package, it's nice to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment