Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Yarn Crawl

The first weekend in March was the Rose City Yarn Crawl.  The crawl celebrated it's third year this year and was extremely fun.  Basically, 19 yarn shops in the Portland area (yeah, I am spoiled enough to live in a city with 19 yarn shops) go through a lot of trouble to make the weekend amazing.  There are special trunk shows and demos, most of the shops have yummy snacks, every shop designs a knitting pattern that you get free with purchase, and there is a drawing for a giant prize basket at every store.  Then there is a special drawing for the people who manage to make it to all 19 shops in one weekend.

I did not go to all 19 shops.  I went to 12.  In one day.  And Ryan came with me to all of them.  I know.  I am a bad girlfriend and he is an excellent boyfriend.  I did not buy something at every store, but I did walk away with quite a loot.

IMG_0454

I seem to have focused either on blue/green or pink/purple.  Not surprising really as most of my stash fits one of those two categories.  Almost all of the yarns I got are yarns I've never tried before and don't already have in my stash.  (I may have gotten a skein of Madeline Tosh Tosh Merino Light.  I don't think I can be blamed for that, you try NOT buying TML, it's hard!)

IMG_0456

In one store we ran into a Spectra that had been knit up using Zauberball and a black yarn for the border.  Ryan was extremely taken with it and questioned my ability to duplicate it.  Confident in my knitter-fu I boasted that I could absolutely duplicate the scarf if I had the same color of Zauberball.  Ryan snatched up the last ball of the same color and bought it for me.  The gauntlet has been thrown down.

IMG_0457

That multi-colored ball (that's a "Zauberball") and the black are being transformed into Spectra as we speak.  I don't know how I'm going to keep up with shawl club, Spectra, and For Yarns Sake knit-a-longs.  At this point keeping up is probably impossible, I'll just have to try not to fall too far behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment