Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Loot!

Last post I talked about how my knitting group from school spent last weekend up at the schools retreat-lodge Bjorklunden, but I forgot to mention one of the best parts of the whole trip! We spent a whole afternoon dyeing yarn! I managed to dye five hanks worth of yarn (my entire bare stash!... Guess I better restock.) This is a sock blank from Knitpicks that I got a little crazy with. I just started splashing colors that I like on it. There is some green, some purple, some pink, two shades of blue, and patches where the original white shows up. I thik it will turn into some pretty fun socks. I'm not sure if I will keep this blank for myself or give it away, I have too much sock yarn as it is... But then again, it's so pretty...




Now that I've just mentioned how I have too much sock yarn... This is a skein of knitpicks bare merino/nylon fingering weight yarn... in other words more sock yarn. This is all done with Jacquard dyes. and it is mostly shades of green, brown, and cream but there are splashes of purple every so often that make it more feminine. I think I will use this to make socks for my mom who is a forester as the colors are very woodsy.


This is a hank of white Cascade 220 that I dyed with Jacquard dyes as well. I tend to like Jacquard better than Kool-Aid because I tend to like deeper jewel tones rather than the extremely bright or pastel colors that you get with Kool-Aid. I think this will turn into a pair of felted slippers. (Another form of sock...)



This is a hank of knitpicks bare fingering weight wool/silk blend. This is probably the one thing that won't turn into socks because it's not superwash. I'm thinking a lacy spring scarf. This is (again) mostly done with Jacquard but there is some Kool-Aid in there too--the lightest pink color is strawberry Kool-Aid.


Oh, look, more sock yarn... This I had originally kettle-dyed with black cherry Kool-Aid but the color turned out pretty strawberry-pink and I wanted something darker. I splashed some red and blue jacquard dye on it and now it's perfect. The earlier pink still shows up in some places but there is enough of the darker colors to make it look less like a baby-doll-ish.


We also had a swap of unloved stash so I was able to get rid of a few things, but I also collected two sock blanks dyed by someone else, some Knitpicks Swish DK and some other individual balls of yummy goodness. I really need to get knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment