Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

WIPs march of shame (part three)

This next project was started last August so there is some slim hope that they may be finished in less than a year. Slim, since for some reason I am extremely slow at sock knitting, but a hope none the less. I actually enjoyed knitting these socks while I was working on them, but problems kept arising. First, the cats chewed through one of my knitting needle cords, then they were too small for the intended recipient, then the intended recipient and I broke up so there didn't seem to be a point to going back and fixing the mistake, then the cats got a hold of one of the balls of yarn and it's a big old tangled mess that needs to be undone... So they sat unworked on.

IMG_0605



These are Mojo Socks by Donyale Grant and the pattern is free. Losts of people on Ravelry have done this pattern in bright happy colors and it looks wonderful. Since I knew I would be making man-socks with this yarn, I decided to pick this funky pattern to make my knitting experience less hellish. I think I will attempt to give them to Ryan as he does not own a single pair of dress socks and has smaller man-feet (which means still huge since I'm used to knitting to a women's 7.5 for myself.)

In other news, I've done a little stash enhancing lately. Something about summer always makes me want to spin. Something about knitting with wool is not so pleasant, but touching wool fiber isn't as bad for some reason. My spinning is still very bad, I'd love to take a class but I only have a drop spindle and am afraid that if I rent a spinning wheel I will end up falling in love and buying one. Here is my stash enhancement:

IMG_0291

This is 100% Superwash Blue Face Leicester from Woolgatherings. A sign in the knitting shop said it is the easiest wool to spin... This may have been a selling tactic, but it worked. I struggled a bit with the Targhee that I bought at Sock Summit last August. You will see what I produced in a later post.

IMG_0290

This may never get spun as I can't stop petting the fiber itself. This is 70% Alpaca 30% silk from Abstract Fibers and it is heaven. (Can you tell there is a certain color family I prefer? The other day, Ryan asked me, "why is all of your yarn pink?" I hadn't exactly realized it, but I seem to have a penchant for buying yarn in the pink/red/orange family.) I hope this is easy-ish to spin because I really want to start, but it would be such a tragedy if I ended up with ugly yarn...

IMG_0289

Just for good measure, and because I want to start right away and my other spindle is occupied, I bought a new one. It's heavier than my other one so we'll see what kind of yarn it produces.

Back to the WIP grind...

No comments:

Post a Comment