Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Adam's Hat, part 2

Before Christmas, I showed you the hat that I was working on to give to my brother Adam, but it wasn't very far along. I managed to finish it, even with law school finals happening all the way up until December 23rd and my family arriving and needing entertainment on the 23rd... (that is a rant in itself that you're likely uninterested in.) The 24th I finished the last of the seaming, and voila:

IMG_0611



One silly hat for Adam. The hat was a kit from Knit Picks called "Into the Woods" and it's still available as of this post, but is "last chance." The yarn used is Red and Bittersweet Heather Wool of the Andes for the main colors and Oyster Heather Wool of the Andes and Natural Suri Dream for the inner ear flap. The Suri Dream is carried along with the Wool of the Andes to make the ear flap fuzzy and soft.

IMG_0614

Like most of the Knit Picks patterns I've encountered this one has, what I would consider, too many spelling, grammar, and technical errors for a pattern that is paid for. Also, for the earflap, the pattern is completely unhelpful. The ear flap has to be knit back and fourth. Rather than cutting the yarn and moving it I just used it from where it was. Sometimes this meant knitting a row with the red, then needing to do a bittersweet heather row but the yarn wasn't on the end of the fabric to set up a purl row... in these cases I just went back to where I started (you must have a circular needle to do this) and knit a second row rather than cutting the yarn and moving it to the other side to do a purl row.

IMG_0613

The pattern makes a huge hat (I knit to pattern gauge) that sits up really high, sort of like Elmer Fudd's hat. I could never see wearing this hat for anything other than using it as some sort of prop, or trying to win a silly hat contest... Adam is all dressed up in these pictures because they were taken Christmas day and we're about to go to a dinner party. He wore the hat through most of the party.

IMG_0615

No comments:

Post a Comment