Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Intarsia Attempt

Years ago, when I first joined Ravelry, I queued several projects that were "out if my league" seeing as I was a brand new knitter.  Looking back at those projects now makes me smile at what I originally thought of a "too hard."  Some of my oldest queued patterns are: coronet, multidirectional diagonal scarf, and Bella shawl.  Now that I consider myself a seasoned knitter all of these projects seem easily within my skill set. 

One of the patterns I queued early on was Brainwash Bag.  An felted intarsia bag by Brooke Snow.  For Christmas, I got some yarn that I thought would work well for the project so I decided to give it a go.

IMG_0823



The yarn is Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Worsted 100% Peruvian Highland Wool in colorways forest heather (dark green) and pampas heather (light green).  The yarn is held double stranded throughout and the project is knit on size 15 needles to facilitate felting. 

Working on such big needles is a bit unwieldy even with the yarn held double.  This makes the gaps in the intarsia especially prominent.  I can't tell if my skills aren't what the should be, or if it's "supposed" to be like this, and all will be taken care of in the washer.  The panel above is the front of the bag.  I have to make an identical back plus a strap, then sew it all together, then felt it.  The panel only takes a few hours because it is knit at such a big gauge.  The problem is I have to be seated and focused on the project because of all the intarsia bobbins.  I'll be sure to show you the FO once I get it done.

No comments:

Post a Comment