Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Douglas Mittens

When it comes to knitting I have a serious "Ooooo Shiny" problem. By which I mean I a easily distracted from my current projects by the newest coolest thing leading me to drop everything currently in progress to start something new.

Such was the fate of my Douglass Mittens by emilyelizabeth. I cast them on in March when I had a strong urge for some color work. Then something (I'm not sure what) distracted me for about 5 months. When I finally got back to them, they only took about 2 weeks to finish. I have no idea why I abandon things that are so close to completion. (See the above mentioned "oooo shiny" problem.) Have a look.

IMG_0925

I love them! I knit them in an aran weight yarn on size 5 needles as called for in the pattern and they came out too big for me. (This is not surprising because I have VERY small hands.) They fit my mother perfectly and she has already claimed them as her birthday present this December. 

IMG_0928

The pattern is well written and easy to follow. It even comes with directions for how to knit a lining for your mittens. I think in theory linings are a great idea because they protect your colorwork strands from getting pulled and allow you to knit the colorwork in a "hearty" yarn like a traditional shetland but still have super soft comfy mittens by picking a soft yarn for the lining. That being said, I didn't do the lining. It's just not cold enough in Oregon to need mittens that warm.

IMG_0926

I used Madeline Tosh Vintage 100% Superwash Merino in colorways Antique Lace and Cloak. Even though the yarn is merino, it's spun very tightly, so it shouldn't have the problems with fuzzing and pilling that many merino yarns have. I have yet to meet a Madeline Tosh yarn that I didn't love, and this is no exception. 

IMG_0927

I find colorwork to be very addicting, and easily get into the "just one more row" mindset. In fact, I think I will cast on another pair of mittens this week. More on that later.   

2 comments:

  1. your mittens turned out great, at least your Mum will be a happy recipient

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those mittens are lovely! I do the same thing with projects and then when I take them back out again wonder why I didn't just finish them in the first place!

    ReplyDelete