Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Molly

Hello all. Are you just now coming out of your turkey-induced food haze? I ate so much on Thanksgiving (at about 4:00) that I wasn't even hungry until about 2:00 the next day. Delicious.

My dad came up from southern Oregon and he, my brother, and I went to the house of some family friends. There were 28 people and a 30 pound turkey.

I also got almost all of my gift shopping taken care of. Dad and I went the day BEFORE Thanksgiving and the mall was deserted. Perfect. I don't care if I overpaid. There were no lines, no crazy people, no disgruntled employees. Perfect.

In knitting news, I still have a lot to show you to catch up. At the beginning of the month I taught a class called "It's Hot!: Hats." Our store does a whole "It's Hot" series where we base classes around patterns that are "Hot right now" on Ravelry (it's one of the search filters, check it out.) The hat I chose for the class was Molly by Erin Ruth. Here's my sample:

Untitled

Just the right amount of simple but textural with a fun drape. My class focused on how to read a pattern where there is more than one thing going on at once. In this pattern the cable repeats every 8 rows, and the background texture repeats every 3 rows. It also was a nice refresher on cables since most of my students had done them in the past, but not recently. 

Untitled

I knit my sample from a hearty wool yarn from Knitted Wit. The yarn line is called Cypress Hollow, it's 100% Rambouillet wool and all of the colors are named for the characters from the Cypress Hollow novels by Rachel Herron. The color I used was called Cade. (I have never read her novels, but I have read her book of short stories and they were cute and entertaining.)

Untitled

This one was made as a store sample so it lives at the shop now. I get many requests to model it so that customers can evaluate the amount of drape. Some people are very picky about wanting a hat that is "drape-y but not too drape-y."

Once I pull myself out from under the holiday knitting avalanche, I think I will make one for myself.

Untitled

1 comment:

  1. That hat is so cute! As far as shopping goes, I'm totally with you. I don't necessarily consider it overpaying if buy on a day other than Black Friday, I consider it a reasonable fee to not have a panic attack in Target!

    ReplyDelete