Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Urchin

The last of the projects that I finished early last year, before I even moved, was Urchin by Ysolda Teague. This is one of Ysolda's very early patterns from the 2007 Fall Knitty. The reason I chose to make it is the unique construction. It's knit vertically around your head and joined when you have the needed circumferences, rather than starting circularly and knitting from the brim to the top.


I HATE that the brim is folded under in all my pictures. I think it looks crazy. One of the problems with getting a non-knitter without much enthusiasm for hand-mades to take your photos... They're more concerned with snapping the shots and getting out of the cold than with making sure you have awesome photos for Ravelry. Some people's priorities are so out of whack. 


(I also wish I had been told about that one straggly strand of hair, it would have been so easy to tuck into the hat. Sigh. First world problems.) I knit the smallest size which makes a much more beanie style hat than the beret shape that the larger sizes tend to form. All in all it took two days of knitting to make this (and I probably only spent 2-3 hours each day.) Nevermind that Ravelry says it took me a week to make. That's just a product of the fact that last year was so bad for me knitting-wise. 

I used a fun yarn by Colinette called Calligraphy. The colorway is call Gaughin.  It's a loosely spun thick-thin yarn that's a bulky 100% wool. It wasn't bad to work with and the project came out nice, but I don't feel anything more than "meh" for the yarn. Cute, serviceable, but I'm not losing my mind over it. I would use it again if I found a pattern I thought it would compliment, but I'm not going out of my way to stash it (unlike Madelinetosh which I aggressively horde incase of an unexpected sheep apocalypse.)  


Honestly, I can't tell you how this has held up over the past year because... I don't know where it is! I know, I know. Losing hand knits sucks. All that work, the expense of the yarn, the memories of what was going on in my life as I was making it. It sucks. I'm a serial hand-knit loser though... mittens, hats, scarves, I just can't seem to hold on to woolies. I'm going to have to either get my sh*t together and keep track of my things, or adopt a more zen mentality about losing them. Le sigh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment