Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Fraternal

Hand knit socks are one of the little luxuries that non-knitters don't get to experience (unless they have a knitter who loves them very much.) They are so comfy and warm and can be customized to fit perfectly. Then there's the endless variety of amazing sock yarns--pretty much any fiber blend and color you can hope for. Here is my latest pair (and by latest, I mean they were finished in October.)


Side note: taking pictures of your own feet takes an inordinate amount of body contortion. These are plain stockinette socks following the Yarn Harlot's Sock Recipe. As much as I like the look of fancy socks with cables and lace, and as interesting as they can be to make, my favorite socks to wear are the plain knit ones. 


These are knit with Patons Kroy Socks FX in the color way Clover Colors. By sock yarn standards this yarn is incredibly cheap (in price) and can be found in most of the big box stores like Michaels and Jo-Anns. It's a blend of 75% wool 25% nylon so its nice and sturdy. It's definitely not as buttery soft as the luxury yarns with cashmere, merino, etc. but its definitely fine for wearing on your feet. These feel like they will wear really well and after a full winter of wear I don't see any signs of weakening in the heels or balls where I tend to wear holes through my socks. 


I made no effort to try to make the colors match from one sock to the other. I just started each sock from the beginning of a 50g ball and let the colors line up as they may. With such a long color repeat and slow transition it would have been a real pain and really, I just don't care that much about having matched up socks. I think the fraternal pair is actually really cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment