Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

WIPs march of shame (part one)

Over the next few posts I plan to show you all (nine!) WIPs that I'm currently "working" on. Hopefully getting they all out in the open will shame me into to finishing some of them. I have told myself that I cannot cast on for a new project until I finish two WIPs... we'll see if it ends up being productive.

I figured I should start with the oldest WIPs first and just get all the shame out on the table from the beginning.

These socks were started November 4th, 2008. This means that I have been working on these for over a year and a half.

IMG_0435



The patter in Charlene Schurch's Small Capitals (rav link) from the book Sensational Knitted Socks. The yarn is Noro Kureyon Sock, it is 100% wool so I won't be able to wash them in the washing machine... maybe not the best choice for socks. I don't have any idea how I managed to pair this pattern with this yarn. Normally I would never pair a highly textured pattern with a variegated yarn, but I love the way this looks. It reminds me of scales. As you can see, one sock is complete. I'm still on the foot on the other one (they are knit toe-up), I have about three more pattern repeats before I can turn the heel then six repeats before the ribbing. That doesn't sound like that much, but the repeats go so slowly. I love the way the pattern looks, but it's not super fun to execute.

The yarn is everything that you would expect of full size Noro... It's not super soft, it's got vegetable matter in it, there was at least one knot in the ball that lead to a dramatic color change, and it's as thin as lace in some place and almost sport-weight in others... but the colors are amazing and the yarn has a fabulous "rustic" feeling.

I hope I can get these done before two years go by, but I can't really work the pattern and concentrate on other things so I'll have to steel myself against the boredom and crank out these socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment