Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Great hat pattern

Hi friends, I'm so excited that I can finally share this project with you. It's been done since August, but I'd been sworn to secrecy until the pattern was publish! (Well not really sworn, but asked politely.) This is Bashful, a new hat pattern by Marlaina Bird. I was lucky enough to be a test knitter for the pattern.

IMG_0376



It took me about 3 days of mild knitting to finish this hat and it took just one skein of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool (though I only had about 1.5 feet of yarn left). The yarn is 45% wool, 35% silk, and 20% nylon. It's nubby and squishy and wonderful. The nubbyness gives the hat a softer look. If you look through the patterns, the lace on some peoples' hats has a much more crisp defined look.

IMG_0401

The yarn already has a lot of drape, but when knit on size 8 needles (larger than recommended for DK weight) the result is a very slouchy hat.

IMG_0399
I'm always so surprised when I see what my nose looks like in profile!

This is my go-to hat when I'm having a bad hair day, which now that I have bangs seems to be way more frequent... I will probably end up making more in other colors because as it is I have to plan my bad hair days for when the shirts that match this hat are clean. DK is not the most common yarn weight it my stash, so I may have to go yarn shopping... Damn...


IMG_0398

By the way, this is the 2nd FO from the challenge I presented myself with back in August... Clearly that didn't motivate me at all... Mostly because I've pretty much decided to buy yarn when I feel like it (without putting myself in the poor house). I live alone, I have 3 jobs, I answer to no one financially, and I can have a closet full of yarn if I want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment