Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Fancy Socks

Ever since May, For Yarns Sake, my closest LYS, has been doing monthly knit-a-longs.  I started the May project--don't ask--but skipped the June one.  When I heard what the July project was going to be, I just had to join again.  Per my suggestion (I don't know if they chose because of my suggestion, but I'm pretty sure I brought the pattern to the attention of the people who did the choosing) they/we are knitting Lissajous Socks by Cookie A.
Lissajous Socks
photo courtesy of Twist Collective



These beauties come in both a knee-high and standard sock length.  I'm of course doing the knee-high (look at the pretty!)  I'm enjoying working on these, though they are a bit slow-going.  There's more stitches around than a standard sock because of the calf shaping and there are 4 charts to follow at once.  It's a good thing I'm enjoying these, because as you can see, I've got a ways to go...

IMG_1165
Why do my legs suddenly seem so much longer than usual?


I'm just over half-way through the first big chart, and I'm looking forward to the "ease" of focusing on just the cables and calf shaping for a while.

IMG_1168

I had a small accident in which I continued to rib even though the directions clearly (maybe not that clearly) tell you to stop ribbing after 18 rows.  I was on row 33 when I realized this.  I did no rip back.  Instead, I knit to each wrong purl column and dropped the stitches down individually for 15 rows, then picked them back up the right way.  This fix-it crochet hook was extremely helpful, and made the whole process way more painless than it could have been. Look at the delicate cables.

IMG_1167
Sorry my pictures are ass.  They were taken inside by me.  If these were finished, I'd have no trouble running around outside taking a billion pictures of my socks and thumbing my nose at anyone who thinks it's weird to take sock pictures.  However, even I draw the line at running around outside with a thin stip of sock halfway up my leg holding the attached ball of yarn in one hand, the camera in the other, and hitching up my skirt to try to get a picture that shows off my twisted stitches.  For me, that's more of an indoor activity.  Expect better pictures when/if I get these done.


The yarn I'm using is Spud and Chloe Fine.  I'm still forming an opinion about it, sometimes I love it, sometimes I'm not so sure.  I'll give a full report after I have more than 2 inches knit with it...  I want to be sure I really give it a fair chance.

I do have one question about the pattern though.... Why the *^&$ does it make you cast on, then do make-ones in the first &(*^%$# row, then, in the next row, make you use the make-ones to do &^%#@!) twisted-stitch cables?  Hmmm?  That I'd like to know.  Why not just cast on all the stitches rather than increase on the first row?  If there is a logical practical reason I may be able to accept the maddening torture that was the first two rows of this pattern.  If there is no good reason, then the only logical conclusion is that Cookie A is a mean diabolical hateful woman who secretly plots to drive sock knitters insane.  My progress on my Pomatomous would seem to suggest the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment