Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Oops...

Alright, so remember that whole "finish-two-projects-before-you-cast-a-new-one-on" thing I had going... well I might have fallen a bit off the wagon... It's not my fault! I work in a yarn shop! Who has that kind of will power?!

Remember I told you that in the shop I work in you "make" your own yarn? Here is the what the result can look like.

IMG_0306

I know it's blurry, but I think you can get the idea. That yarn is actually 5 different strands of blue and green wool that have been coned together to make one fingering-weight yarn. This is one of our pre-made cones, meaning someone at the shop picked out the colors and we blended them together and are selling the finished cone. Here is a close-up of the different "ingredient" strands (again, sorry about the blur.)

IMG_0308

I have been keeping the cone in my purse, taking it to work every day, in case the shop is very slow and I have some time to knit... It hasn't been slow yet.

Here is a cone I "made" myself, as in I picked out the "ingredients."

IMG_0298

This cone has two strands of a pearl-colored rayon, one strand of creamy-white cashmere, and one strand of sage-green silk. It is just slightly heavier than a traditional lace-weight yarn but still far from fingering. I love how luxurious this yarn is. We sell our blends by the pound which is a pretty unique way to price yarn. This blend ends up coming to $72 per pound, but a pound of this fine yarn is about 2400 yards. I only needed 5oz to get the 750 yards I needed for my lacy scarf, which ended up being about $23.

I can't possibly be blamed for casting on with both of these beautiful yarns right away can I? I thought not.

The sock yarn is becoming... yes, socks. I worked the whole cuff of the first one last night.

IMG_0305



It's impossible to tell since all I have is the twisted ribbing so far, but these will become Pomatomus by Cookie A. from the Winter 2005 Knitty. It is completely immaterial that I have three other pairs of unfinished socks already on the needles... Hush up! As you can see by the picture I'm knitting these on one small circular needle, which may now be my favorite method for sock knitting, no joins to worry about so no ladders ever.

The lace yarn is becoming... yes, lace. I have been in love with this yarn and this pattern since Sunday.

IMG_0304



This pattern has a long-ass name, it is Scarf with the No. 20 Edging from "The Knitted Lace Pattern Book," 1850 (rav link) by Jane Sowerby. That whole thing is the name of the pattern, the pattern is actually in the book Victorian Lace Today. This is so soft and sheen-y and wonderful I spend equal amounts of time petting it as knitting on it. I love that even though three of the four strands are cream, the one strand of sage green tints the whole project.

This frenzy of casting on means that I have to finish 4 projects before anything new can be cast on... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment