Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

WIPs march of shame (part five)

So close to the end of showing you all the shameful WIPs I have stashed in my knitting basket. This next one has actually been living in my purse for the past 8 months or so. It is supposed to be my "I have to wait project" so that if I'm ever somewhere with an unusually long line or am unexpected delayed for another reason I have knitting with me. The problem is, I haven't really had to do much waiting lately. I'm not at all complaining about not having to wait, it just means this project doesn't get a lot of love.

IMG_0239



These are Air Raid Socks by Emily B. Miller. I have chosen to make my legs about twice as long as the sample sock because I think wool socks should be long. That is my personal preference since my legs are always freezing in the winter. The yarn I am using is Crystal Palace Yarns Mini Mochi in colorway 101 which is a rainbow.

IMG_0238

This blog post would have to go on for miles if I were to accurately describe how much I love this yarn. The first thing I love about it is that it is a single. I know there are some people out there who absolutely hate to knit with yarn that is not plied, but I am not one of them. I love the way stitches look so plump when the yarn is not plied. Next, this yarn is SOFT. It's a merino/nylon blend (which makes it perfect for socks) but it's so much softer than other sock yarns. This yarn makes my feet feel like they have gone to heaven. Finally, the color. This yarn has such deep rich colors. The rainbow is very happy, which was much needed in December when I was buying the yarn, but I must have stood over the basket of this yarn in the shop for 20 minutes trying to decide which fantastic colorway to take home with me.

IMG_0240

The pattern is also wonderful. I love how it adds some texture but doesn't get lost in the colors of the yarn. It's also very simple. I had the repeat memorized halfway through the chart. I am the tiniest bit worried that because this is a single yarn the socks won't be as hardy as I need them to be, but that I a practical after-the-fact-type matter, and I tend not to think about those when I cast on. If there is some darning in my future, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment