Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Picky Hat

My latest design is available on Ravelry now!  I've been meaning to get this hat design down on paper for a long time.  I decided to hustle and get it out to test knitters before school started at the end of August.  I've gotten some great feedback and I'm finally confident enough that the errors have all been caught to release the pattern.

Ryan is picky about what knits he will wear.  He has very strict ideas about what is manly.  I've combed the ravelry database of men's patterns over and over having him reject 95% of the hats I propose.  Finally I decided to get as much info from him about what he wanted and come up with something on my own.  This is the end result:

IMG_1210
This is not Ryan modeling, this is my brother Adam.  He's 6'10", that's why the photo is taken looking up at him, I can't get far enough away from him to get a picture that looks like it's taken straight-on and still shows off the hat. 


I call the pattern Picky because it was designed because of Ryan's rejection of most other patterns.  It's knit on size 6 needles using worsted weight yarn.  When knit to gauge, the fabric produced is nice and dense without being stiff, perfect for a winter hat.

The yarn I used for this hat is Lion Brand Superwash Merino Cashmere--72% merino, 15% nylon, 13% cashmere.  It's very very soft and I have absolutely no complaints about the yarn itself.  (It looks like it might pill under abrasive use, but hats aren't usually treated that roughly and I hate it when people use merino yarn then complain when it pills... that's like cooking with real butter then complaining that your food is fattening... um duh, take the good with the bad.)  My only complaint is the put up of the yarn.  There are only 87 yards per ball.  At $8/ball it makes for a pretty expensive project, even for smaller items.  It also means weaving in more ends than usual which annoys me greatly.

IMG_1211

My brother deserves some major props for modeling in these pictures.  It's about 90 degrees outside in those photos and I had him modeling this and the Habitat I finished during the same "photo shoot."  He was a pretty good sport about it.  I told him to pose as manly as possible, this is what he came up with:

IMG_1209

I wouldn't want to mess with that.

1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I've been on the lookout for a nice winter hat, too, so I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete