Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Knit-a-long

May marks the beginning of the second year of the monthly knit-a-longs at my LYS For Yarn's Sake.  Each month the shop picks a project and hosts some time once a week to work on it, get help, trade advice and modifications--it's lovely.  I haven't participated in all of them but have done quite a few.

Last May it was Jared Flood's Rock Island.  It's extremely intricate double-sided lace.  I got about 12 repeats into the border--you need 71... I'm planning to go back to it now that school is over and I can focus on things like double sided lace.  Here's what I have:

IMG_0313
Pathetic, I know.

June was not a month I participated.  The project was the Radian Yoke sweater by Wendy Barnard.  I love this cute summer tee and plan to make it eventually, I just didn't have the time or (if you can believe it) the right yarn.

July and August were devoted to the same project.  The Lissajous Socks by Cookie A.   I'm still actively working on these.  Actually, "actively" might be a bit strong.  "Reluctantly" is more accurate.  Now that the knit-a-long is well over I've only been working on them for an hour a week at sock hour at the yarn shop.  I have one complete and I'm almost through the big chart for the second one.

IMG_0400
Turns out, slow and steady does NOT win the race.

September was also a month I participated.  And also a project I have yet to finish.  I'm also still working on my Dahlia Cardigan by Heather Zoppetti.  This one is so close to being done I can taste it.  All I have left is the left front of the cardigan.  I don't have a photo since finishing the right front, but I did snap one after I had finished the back and sleeves.  Hopefully I will be showing this off as an FO soon.

IMG_0473

October was another intense lace project--the True Love Stole by Wendy Johnson.  This was a project that a lot of the knitters had a hard time getting into (the chart is a 45-row repeat!) and I doubt I'll ever really sit down to make this one.  I do think it's lovely though--just too fiddly for me currently.  Maybe someday I'll want something really fiddly and I'll come back to this one.

November and December were devoted to the Larch Cardigan by Amy Christoffers.  I didn't get in on this project either because finals were just heating up for fall term and I didn't have the time.

January was scheduled as a "catch-up" month and I spent some extra quality time with Dahlia--after you finish the lace back it's a never ending sea of stockinette.  

February was the first project that I actually finished (don't judge!) and only because it was a hat.  The Rustling Leaves Beret by Alana Dakos was a nice quick knit and allowed me to use up some silk-alpaca handspun I was itching to find a project for.  

IMG_0466
Yeah for small victories!

March and April was another two-month project with a twist.  We got to choose to either make the Gnarled Oak Cardigan or the Wildflower Cardigan both also by Alana Dakos.  Some crazy women decided to knit both since we had two months.  In two months I didn't even manage to finish the back piece of the Wildflower.  I don't have a picture of my progress yet since right now it's just a big slab of stockinette.  All of the fun is on the front of this one.  When I get something more interesting than a rectangle of stockinette I'll show it off.

Now, year two is kicking off with a beautiful little shawlette from Ysolda Teague--the Pear Drop.  Do you think I will be able to finish within the month?

No comments:

Post a Comment