Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

Scared?

Every year I try to knit something ridiculous for my brother. There has been the enigmatic Jayne Cobb Hat, the bearded hat with interchangeable moustaches, a demon balaclava, a cthulu balaclava, an Elmer Fudd style deerstalker, and good old Zoidberg.

Thankfully, Ravelry keeps me supplied with endless inspiration for weird stuff to knit. This year, when I saw the SkullKerchief pattern by Knitty or Nice, I knew it had to be for Adam.

Untitled

I do harbor a slight fear that he will one day take all these masks and pull some sort of super heist and I'll be taken down as his accomplice because no one will believe that you would knit these just for fun...

The knitting on this only took the better part of one day. It's a 40 row chart and you are decreasing to make the kerchief shape as you go, so it's VERY fast. I do remember finding a few typos in the pattern, but can't remember what they were. (The result of waiting to bolg... sorry!) I do know that the context around them made it really easy to see that there was a typo and the "solution" was obvious. It's hard to hold it against a pattern that is free.

Untitled

The yarn is Patons Classic Wool Merino in Black and Aran. I do not splurge on nice wool for Adam since the chance of him taking good care of this are about 0 to 0.001.  Usually he doesn't even get wool, it's acrylic all the way, but I had this in my stash already with no designated project so that is what he got.

Untitled

I apologize for the picture quality. In Portland this time of year there's really no such thing as "natural light." Expect the photo quality around here to remain low until... oh I'd say April.  

3 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I love that your brother is willing to wear it for pictures. My brother has a good sense of humor, but a great unwillingness to document it, taking all the fun out. Happy holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that pattern frequently recently, it is so creepy! Definitely perfect for an unique gift, looks like he loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a silly and awesome gift for your brother!

    ReplyDelete