Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Warmish Release

It's been a long time since I published a pattern on Ravelry. I have lots of lovely ideas, just can't seem to find the time to work things out properly and make sure I write a good pattern. About a month ago I finally settled in and got one of my ideas down on paper. Warmish is now available for sale.


It's a beret-shaped hat that sits loosely around the ears and a simple dimple-texture pattern. It doesn't get that cold in Portland in the winter, so I don't like hats that are very tight against my ears and forehead. This is fitted enough to not fall off in a gust of wind, but not snug. However, for those who do prefer a snug brim, I've included instructions for using a smaller needle size on the brim to give a tighter fit. 


I knit my sample with one ball of Rowan Lima Colour in the creatively named colorway 711. I love the way the fiber blend (84% alpaca, 8% wool, 8% nylon) allowed for a lot of relaxation in blocking and really let the beret shape come out. 


To achieve the beret shape, blocking is absolutely necessary. The circular decreases happen quickly and the finished hat will look a little "lumpy" until it is blocked. I used a 12" dinner plate and got just the right amount of slouch. Some of my test knitters commented that the hat looked small when it came off the needles but after they blocked it, it grew to the right size. 

I always love to hear feedback (and constructive criticism) about my patterns. If you happen to knit this one you can leave me a message here or on Ravelry and I'll get back to you right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment