Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

My first pattern!

Hi all.  I'm really excited to show you this today!  It's the first pattern I've designed!  I call it Spring Breeze Shawl.

IMG_0903

I designed it because Yarnia is going to start offering a class on knitting triangle shawls and I'm going to teach it.  I can't tell you how excited I am about this! (Though the exclamation points might be giving you a clue.)  I kept the pattern mostly stockinette because the class will be focusing on basic construction elements.  This would be a great first shawl/lace pattern because it's geared toward beginners.

IMG_0901

This sample will be living at Yarnia, hopefully generating interest in the class.  It was knit from less than one cone of one of the Yarnia house blends called Noni.  The yarn is two strands gray merino, two strands soft almost-white-but-really-seafoam-green merino, one strand lavender rayon, and one strand lurex to give it a little sparkle.

IMG_0905

I'm currently looking for people to test knit the pattern, so if you're interested leave me a comment and I'll shoot you a free copy of the pattern for you to check my work.  It takes ~ 350 yards of fingering weight yarn (any cone of Yarnia sock yarn should work) and size 8 needles.  The finished shawl is about 48" wide by 22" deep.  I think the big swath of plain knitting would be good for variegated yarn because the stitch counts across the row change so fast it should combat pooling and the lace at the bottom is simple enough that it wouldn't be overpowered by a strong yarn.

IMG_0906

Once this has been tested and I'm fairly sure there are no glaring mistakes I'll put it up on ravelry and come back and add a real life pattern link.  SQUEE!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Awesome to see you branching out into pattern design. So jealous of your yarn shop job.

    ReplyDelete