Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Damson

This project was very nearly frogged back into a pile of kinky and forlorn yarn. Not because it's not pretty. Look at it!

IMG_0787



This is Damson by Ysolda Teague. Her patterns are so adorable. I've also made her Ishbel shawl (who hasn't.) The yarn is String Theory Caper Sock in colorway Didgeridoo. This yarn is a luscious 80% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% nylon blend. And the colors, as you can see, are amazingly deep and complex.

IMG_0780

Why then, you ask, would I come so close to frogging this? Because I ran out of yarn on the second to last row. You see, the patterns calls for one skein of Malabrigo sock yarn. I took this to mean that any 100g of fingering weight sock yarn should be sufficient. WRONG. Malabrigo Sock has 440 yards per skein. Caper Sock has 400 yards per skein. Those 40 yards matter. Don't be arrogant! If you are making this pattern, make sure you have all yardage required.

IMG_0785

How is it that I managed to finish, you ask. Did I lay down $25 for another skein? No. That would, in effect, make this a $50 scarf, and I'm not OK with that. I went on ravelry and looked at all the projects that had been made with this yarn. Then I narrowed the search to just this colorway. Then I contacted people who had recently completely projects with this colorway and begged for their yarn scraps. CraftyPancakes totally came through for me. She made these super cute socks and had some leftovers, which she kindly sent me. It was just enough to get me to the end. I love her this week.

IMG_0776

Here it is all pinned out. I mostly wear it like in the second picture--wide part in front, tails pulled around the back and hanging down the front. It's so soft and squooshy that I love having it up against my neck/face. It even smells good (that may be the SOAK.)

IMG_0790

I just think this picture's pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment